Thursday, November 5, 2009

Predetermination vs. Self-Empowerment

Sartre views essentialism as a progression in which “man first of all exists, encounters himself, surges up in the world - and defines himself afterwards.” God does not exist, according to Sartre, and therefore predetermination is illusionary. Consequently, man must exist and experience before establishing for himself essence independent of deism. Sartre’s commentary is inherently atheistic and thus unlikely to resound amongst those with immutable faith in God. However, for those willing to reject conviction in God and seek personal essence, Sartre claims angst and dejection to be common emotions. Such feelings result from the relinquishment of “deterministic excuses” with which personal responsibility is avoided.

I do not understand why despair would result from rejecting predetermination. Why is it bad that freedom brings personal responsibility? Responsibility implies the presence of choice, meaning that individuals maintain rule over themselves. Even though responsibility invariably carries consequences, an individual’s ability to make absolute decisions should be empowering. I understand that many people may be fearful of assuming control over their lives, but isn’t the notion of personal freedom more satisfying than that of an external force controlling life? Even if that outside force is compassionate and all powerful, I prefer think of myself as supreme ruler of myself.

2 comments:

  1. It is empowering in some ways, but there are certain times when I would argue it would be terrifying to believe that we are fully responsible and there is no higher power of any sort. Even in simple daily problems, it is a calming factor to be able to hope that some sort of fate will work things out in the end. If I thought I was fully responsible for everything that went wrong or right, it would be hard to live without high anxiety. Especially in life threatening situations, or in the face of losing someone you love, it would be a lonely feeling to think they are just gone. Belief that there is something outside of oneself is an important mechanism that helps keep people hopeful, but it should not be taken to an extreme point where all personal responsibility is denied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very solid questions in response to Sartre. I completely agree with you, but I can see where Sartre is coming from as well. During my own bouts of divine rejection, I can rarely find anything in this universe but a feeling of overwhelming apathy. Without a God, the realization of no universal truth, morality, or meaning becomes undeniable. While the feeling of complete freedom is sensational, I have to admit that sometimes late at night, my subconscious struggles with this apathy. In this silly desperation, I can feel the despair that he references, and unfortunately for me, it is rather tormenting.

    ReplyDelete